Welcome Guest, please login or register.
Username:
Password:

Get access to FREE book publishing tools, resources, and a growing online community of authors. Publish your book with CreateSpace
Pages: 1 [2]
Topic: Character creation  (Read 5849 times)    
Read
March 18, 2010, 08:23:11 PM
GrammyBlue
Friend

I go to a gifted school so my dad calls it a 'Nerd Fest.'

Ha ha ha ha, this is a signature rofl  I'm sorry, I've never really had a signature, besides my autograph.  Oh, wait, most people have quotes!! Oh, no!! What am I supposed to do?  Oh, darn it all, let's just make this a quote!!
                                        -GrammyBlue (Anna) (ME)

Read
March 20, 2010, 03:26:53 AM
INEVERDIE

'Anarchy Never Looked This Sexy'

I base them as me, or someone I know.  They are varried, sensationlized versions, of course.  But, is truth, easier that way.

Anarchists are actually fairly honest, just so you know! lol....

'Anarchy Never Looked This Sexy'

Read
May 13, 2010, 05:44:24 AM
Yasu

It may seem silly, but the Sims actually helps me when it comes to character creation. Since I'm a geek of sorts, I have a bunch of custom content and I can make them look exactly as I picture them. If I have a plot that's roaming in my mind, I'll just open up the Sims 2 and just... make them, y'know? The personalities typically develop when I'm making their faces~. Then, if I really, REALLY want to stick to an idea, I'll create  the house they live in and furnish it. It paints a really clear picture for me when I'm writing, and it helps me describe it better.

For example, this is Noah. : D
I just made him two days ago after I got a really good idea for a story.
He's a pretty-boy, and I made him look somewhat exotic, but I can't think of what ethnicities I want him to be. :s

Afterwards, when I think I have their looks ready, I'll open up notepad and write out their age, name, job, ethnicity, hometown, personality, background, wants/fears, and their role in the story. Looks are probably easiest for me. The hardest part, I think, is ethnicity and background. With Noah, I wanted him to be mostly Swedish, Polish, and only 1/4th Vietnmaese. Then I thought, "well, he doesn't really look Asian..." And the problem with background information is wanting it to be somewhat interesting, but not cliche and overwhelming, such as a tragic past... :s

AHH. THIS IS SO LONG.
I'm sorry. <3

Read
June 22, 2010, 01:32:13 AM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

I wish I had it that easy, but I've never owned or played Sims. Still, I find myself working a lot on my characters emotions, and a lot of them are very dark and depressed. LOL in one of my stories everyone's background was so miserable I've added a story element to explain why this place had such a dark and forebding atmosphere, which led to some other great content I haven't completely fleshed out yet.

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend.
Inside it is too dark to read
                                               - Groucho Marx

Winning or Losing just means that the fun part is over
                                                                           -Me big grin

Read
July 26, 2010, 01:30:03 AM
Pumpkinbot

It's gotta stop raining eventually...

It may seem silly, but the Sims actually helps me when it comes to character creation. Since I'm a geek of sorts, I have a bunch of custom content and I can make them look exactly as I picture them. If I have a plot that's roaming in my mind, I'll just open up the Sims 2 and just... make them, y'know? The personalities typically develop when I'm making their faces~. Then, if I really, REALLY want to stick to an idea, I'll create  the house they live in and furnish it. It paints a really clear picture for me when I'm writing, and it helps me describe it better. <snip>
xD That's what I do! I use The Sims 3 and make a character there. But...I can't anymore 'cause my computer the TS3 broke. sad

Anyway, I also have problems when creating characters. It seems that I have a few characters that I myself like, but, whenever I scrap a story, I always seem to use those characters again. What I'm worried about is whether or not it's those characters that are making me scrap the story.  neutral

Also, on a more off-topic note, is it me or does the  :therethere: emote look...wrong?  D: This is tempting me to pixel art some emotes for the site... <_< >_>

"And these wars, they can't be won,
Does anyone know or care how they begun?
They just promise to go on and on and on,
But soon we will see there can be only one!"

United States of Eurasia - Muse

Read
July 26, 2010, 04:48:24 PM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

I think it is just you...

Actually I've been worried about a similar character problem though, the more I look at my characters the more I seem to be working with the same mold over and over again. Not that I haven't spruced them up a bit and added some other elements, but when you get down to it, I just don't seem to have a large variety of character archetypes that I can work with. It isn't exactly a problem that could really hurt my writing, but I know i need to be careful or I'll end up like Dean Koontz, the guys a great writer, but read about three of his books and they all start sounding the same.

- Groucho Marx

-Me big grin

Read
July 26, 2010, 10:27:24 PM
Pumpkinbot

It's gotta stop raining eventually...

I think it is just you...

Actually I've been worried about a similar character problem though, the more I look at my characters the more I seem to be working with the same mold over and over again. Not that I haven't spruced them up a bit and added some other elements, but when you get down to it, I just don't seem to have a large variety of character archetypes that I can work with. It isn't exactly a problem that could really hurt my writing, but I know i need to be careful or I'll end up like Dean Koontz, the guys a great writer, but read about three of his books and they all start sounding the same.
I know, right? I liked Watchers, but, after I read that, the rest started sounding the same. neutral A book of his I'd recommend is Tick Tock. It's one of his earlier books and has nothing to do with genetic engineering, unlike half of his books. The main character, though, is kinda like the other main characters in a lot of his books (down on his luck type of guy), but this other person he meets is really interesting. And weird. xD All in all, it's a pretty good book, though.

"And these wars, they can't be won,
Does anyone know or care how they begun?
They just promise to go on and on and on,
But soon we will see there can be only one!"

United States of Eurasia - Muse

Read
August 01, 2010, 11:44:44 PM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

Thanks I'll try and find it big grin

- Groucho Marx

-Me big grin

Read
August 19, 2010, 01:34:57 AM
aSamLoomis
Friend

adjectives on the typewriter

Generally I don't have trouble keeping the 'shape' of a character in my head; but I don't "generally" write super long stories, either. Haha. So I use a character sheet, though it's not as exhaustive as it ought to be. I worry that because I am a boring person that my characters will come out boring, and the only thing memorable about them will be the situations in which their story has put them. :\

I've always wondered how a character diary would work out - I don't know if I could do it, besides for the character whose story was his journal in the first place. Anybody tried that?

Captain A. Sam Loomis of the dirigible Hezekiah
http://heezydirigible.tumblr.com/
I may be brimming with vitriol but at least you're aware I possess an adequate vocabulary.
where even stars avoid my eye, / I'm left to wander in this detestable skin
Twitter: A_Sam_Loomis

Read
August 21, 2010, 07:11:27 PM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

Actually I'm not even sure what you're talking about.What's a "Character Diary"?

- Groucho Marx

-Me big grin

Read
August 23, 2010, 07:02:01 PM
aSamLoomis
Friend

It's a diary [entry] written from the POV of your character.

I may be brimming with vitriol but at least you're aware I possess an adequate vocabulary.

Read
August 25, 2010, 04:51:50 PM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

Interesting, though hard to do in some cases.

- Groucho Marx

-Me big grin

Read
September 04, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
GrammyBlue
Friend

I'm horrible at the Sims.  (Believe me, I've tried) Actually, I'm bad at most games in general.

I'm good at character development, I'm just bad at names.

Ha ha ha ha, this is a signature rofl  I'm sorry, I've never really had a signature, besides my autograph.  Oh, wait, most people have quotes!! Oh, no!! What am I supposed to do?  Oh, darn it all, let's just make this a quote!!
                                        -GrammyBlue (Anna) (ME)

Read
September 06, 2010, 10:00:55 PM
Chaosmancer
V.I.P

I've been using baby name sites for a while now, but I also looked around and found some random name generators. They're mostly game related, but they still might help if you want me to send them to you.

- Groucho Marx

-Me big grin

Read
September 26, 2010, 04:29:14 PM
aSamLoomis
Friend

babynames.com helps me a lot. thumbs up

Read
October 15, 2010, 09:47:52 PM
MariaCunanan
Friend

http://www.HowtoWriteaQueryLetter.com

Wow this is awesome info, I know that all those who wants to start writing or have started writing will be very happy to read this.  congratulations.

Read
November 26, 2010, 01:11:49 PM
BDuncan

Here is a couple bits of advice that my partner and I discussed (along with a little research...):

Characters should not be described unless that are somehow un-natural to what the reader is used to seeing - ie, if you are writing a fantasy based story, the character may look different than what we see on a daily basis, warranting a description.  However, if your character is say, a mechanic, then his actions and subtleties will build him/her for you (everybody can picture what a mechanic looks like, its just up to you to set him apart from the norm.)

In addition, you must understand that characters are separate from stories.  As the character grows and comes to life, he/she may not fit your current story.  If that happens, set them aside for another one.  They will fit somewhere, guaranteed.  You may end up with a virtual waiting room of characters, but that will only benefit you in the long-run by prompting other story ideas.

It sounds crazy and confusing, I know, but it is similar to what happens with movies.  I may be the perfect actor for the part, but if I am too recognizable then I may not fit the plot.  Horror movies are notorious for this.  Unknowns are used because they don't have any bias from playing other characters.

Make sense?

Read
January 03, 2011, 10:35:32 PM
SlevinKelevra

Are there any sites that helps with character visualization? You know like creating a character in RPGs? I don't think I am that skilled in describing characters:

For instance one of my character Enrique, about 50, beard and moustache properly trimmed, tall and muscular for his age. He is necrophilic.

that's as far as i can go for now. i have writer's block  cry

Pages: 1 [2]
Jump To Forum: